Thursday, February 17, 2005

Broadway

1. South Pacific [by Rodgers and Hammerstein]
2. Les Miserables [by Boublil and Schonberg]
3. Brigadoon [by Lerner and Lowe]
4. Miss Saigon [by Boublil and Schonberg]
5. Song of Norway
6. Sound of Music [by Rodgers and Hammerstein]
7. Oliver [by Lionel Bart]


Other Great Choices: West Side Story, Flower Drum Song, Oklahoma, The King and I, Wonderful Town, Camelot, Show Boat, The Student Prince South Pacific combines its themes with its role in my life to place it at the top of this list. I have had four or five roles in two productions of this classic. I watch the videotape at least twice a year. It is a classic tale of the islands of dreams. It takes me to a place and time that bursts with intensity. Les Miserables has a story line and emotional power that are fantastic. "One Day More" lifts the spirit of hope. "I had a dream" captures the nature of life. The finale is awe inspiring. Brigadoon combines bagpipes, Scot music, and other themes that just grab me. I first encountered this play as a violinist in the orchestra in high school. I fell in love with it. We used music from it in our wedding. Miss Saigon speaks to my generation. As the helicopters lift from the stage I am drawn back to an America falling apart of its own lack of morality. A garbage dumpster is burning in Madison, Wisconsin every time I hear this story of love and loss, hope and defeat. Song of Norway is generally unheard of by most people. Among the cast of the film version of this life of Edvard Grieg was Florence Henderson. It is the only film that I have ever gone back to a theater to see again. I saw it three times in one week. What a well constructed film with great singing. The Sound of Music just has the light music to make it everyone's favorite. "Climb Every Mountain" is an inspiration. Who can forget Julie Andrews circling on a mountain top to start the film. The DVD of Oliver includes the really great exit music.

No comments: